We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

27 June 2010

Because I completely lack internal motivation

I've recently been turned on to a website that promotes daily writing. It's an internet-based project that rewards you for writing 750 words a day. And, by reward, I mean self-gratification for completing a task. :) They run monthly challenges, and I've entered my first one for July. This may prove challenging given that I have two week-long vacations nestled nicely in the month of July, but I'm going to give it a go anyway!

I've been using the 750words for the month of June, and, while I've only written ten days this month, nine of them met the 750 goal! Of course, by the end of the month, I plan to have three more completed days under my belt. A sort of warm-up for July's competition. I started using the site to get (and keep) me motivated to work on my diss. Well, that hasn't happened yet (mainly because I have been too busy to even get to the library!), but I have been using it to compose my blog posts. Posting on my teaching and personal blog takes time and energy, and I figure that I might as well work towards my daily 750 while posting to the blog. I plan to work on my diss hard core this week (we'll see ... keep your fingers crossed!), so my 750 will be mainly alloted to serious academic work.

The thing that I really like about 750words, is that it is a personal accountability thing. You can write about anything and everything, and no one sees what you write (unless, of course, you are like me and post it to your blog). It also does this cool little metadata tracking thing that is totally random but fun nonetheless. If you've got writing to do and need to stay motivated, this may be a good idea for you. I know that I've been enjoying it!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...