We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

19 January 2013

Testing my green thumb

After seeing JD's step-mom grow an avocado plant from the avocado stone, I decided that I would attempt the feat the next time we had avocados in the house. Not to brag, but I have a pretty green thumb. I can grow all kinds of plants, indoor and outdoor, garden and pots ... you name it. I certainly don't get my green-thumbedness from my momma ... at least when it comes to indoor plants. Mom can grow outdoor plants, but she's not the greatest at making plants thrive indoors. (In her defense, she does live in Central New York where it is snowy and cloudy 80% of the time. Not exactly plant-friendly weather.)

So, after some googling and research on how to turn the hard little stones into vibrant green plants, I grabbed my toothpicks and started stabbing away. Apparently, the trick is to insert 3-4 toothpicks about 1/2" into the widest part of the stone. This creates a way to prop the stone up and not submerge it too deeply into the water.

Once the toothpicks are in place, you place the stone in a glass with water just barely covering the bottom. After placing it in a sunny spot, you wait. After a few weeks, the stone will split and root will shoot forth. Just to be safe, I am trying to grow two stones. I've left them in my bathroom window because that is often the warmest and sunniest spot in the house.

Attempt #1
Attempt #2
I'll be posting more photos as this (hopefully) successful process. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...