We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

16 May 2011

Lightening storm at eye level

While flying into Charlotte on Saturday night, my plane was slightly diverted to avoid a system of bad weather. Never before had I seen a storm from any angle other than looking up. From the window of a plane, one can see the size and shape of a storm and it's pretty damn impressive. Thunder storms really are shaped like an anvil; they tower high above all of the other clouds. They are dark and ominous and scary. Well, this storm LET LOOSE while we were flying around it. The lightening was absolutely amazing. It was pink and white and red and blue ... I never knew lightening could look like that. It completely lit up the clouds. But it made no sound at all. Or, at least, I couldn't hear it over the roar of the plane.

It was absolutely TERRIFYING to watch. But, at the same time, absolutely AMAZING. I'd never seen a lightening storm from eye-level before, and it was truly one of the coolest things I've ever witnessed. About halfway through the storm, I remembered the video that I had watched a few days prior about a plane getting struck by lightening. I don't know if anyone was hurt then, but I'm definitely glad I was safe.

I searched in vain on YouTube for a video that captured what I saw. At least I have a vivid memory.

It was a pretty sweet way to cap off my NOLA trip.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...