We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

04 August 2008

Food for thought

When I think about the last three years (and, in reality, most of my life), I've been sick. I've always had head colds or stomach issues or general ickiness. I mean, just look at the blogs I wrote just a year ago. Here, here, here, and here. Of course, the insurance issues only amplified the feels of yuckiness, but I was sick a lot. That's pretty much the story of my life. As long as I can remember, I've been a sicky. Or, as The Boy likes to say, I have a "delicate constitution."

However, I made a startling realisation the other day while in the shower. (You know, that's where I do my deep thinking.) I'm healthy. And I feel good. I haven't been sick (other than premenstrual which really doesn't count as "sick") in months. The last time I can remember feeling truly crappy was January. That was when I got tubes in my ears, and I really think it was a cure all.

I don't think the tubes were the total cure though. In the last six months, The Boy and I have worked VERY hard at eating better. Not just good food but food that is good for us. We shop at Earthfare and Fresh Market and only eat organic meat. No extra hormones, no cruelty, no unnecessary antibiotics ... all free range and humane. Our produce is all organic and/or local, and we pay close attention to the things that we put into our bodies. We rarely consume preservatives because we use so many fresh meats and vegetables and fruits. High fructose corn syrup is a thing of the past. Of course, we aren't insane-o about this, and we still enjoy food that doesn't fall into the organic category but we try really hard to put good things into our bodies. A lot of this started from working with Joe. His family is very careful about the kinds of food that they consume, and, being around them as much as I am, it rubbed off on us.

I honestly attribute my new-found health to my greatly improved diet. I no longer wake up in the mornings feeling achy or in a haze. I no longer feel tired and low all the time. I don't get sick -- head colds, the flu ... -- and my stomach rarely hurts. I can't tell you the last time I had an unexplainable headache. I feel fantastic. Of course, my joints occasionally hurt, but that is because I've beat the hell out of my body in the past and now I pay for that. But the little mystery illness that used to plague me on a very regular basis are all gone. (Knock on wood!)

I like this new lifestyle. The food is more expensive, but it is totally worth it. I feel confident knowing that the food I consume is helping me be healthy rather than just sustaining me. I feel healthy and happy, and this has had a dramatic affect on my relationship with The Boy. He doesn't have to deal with me feeling crappy all of the time, and I always feel good so we can be active and do things.

I never really bought into all of the organic hype, but I am certainly a believer now. It's amazing the affects that the foods we eat have on our bodies. They really do have the power to make us feel good, make us feel low, make us feel happy, and make us feel healthy. I see the things that people eat now, and I stare in amazement. I can't believe the toxins that people ingest because "it's quick!" or "it tastes good!" Worse yet, the food we feed our children -- fast food, everything processed and full of chemicals, full of empty calories and crazy amounts of corn syrup -- is terrifying. The best thing a parent can do for their children (other than read to them every day) is to feed them good food that won't pickle their insides with poisons. It doesn't have to be organic (although I think the difference is amazing), but it should be processed as little as possible.

Here's to your health!

1 comment:

mansuetude said...

sometimes i think it is the air in the Carolinas. I can't explain it, but there is a lot of pollution. Hot out! Here is to your health. May it stay robust and balanced.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...