We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

02 June 2008

Avoiding work and helping the Earth

I just can't seem to get motivated to work lately. I get a ton of stuff done - housework, cleaning, working out, working, playing/walking with Bailey - but I can't seem to find the desire/motivation/impetus to crack a single book for my comps. What kind of funk am I in? I haven't "studied" in over a month. That is bad. The good part is that I've only got my tertiary list left which happens to be one I already feel very confident about. But the fact remains that I still need to actually get some notes down. In the meantime, I am finding every possible reason to not study ... like watching really bad French musicals from the 50s.

Today I even mopped my upstairs floors to avoid work. Scary, huh? It was actually an effort to help save the Earth. Target carries a brand called Method, and it is all household and personal care products that are 100% biodegradable and are basically ingestible (i.e. they won't harm me or Bailey if we were to accidentally ingest them). They also don't pollute the ground water or kill local flora when dumped/washed down the drain. I've been trying hard to incorporate more "green" products (other than food) into my life, and this is just one more attempt. (I've started using their laundry detergent, and I have no complaints thus far.) Anyway, the last time LL was over, she suggested that I get a Swiffer to clean all of my hardwood floors (which is EVERY floor except the bathroom and kitchen). I like the convenience and ease of the Swiffer, but I'm not a big fan of the chemicals and waste it makes. Turns out, Method has a similar product that is all green and completely compostable. Instead of having plastic-based pads to "sweep" with, Method has a corn-based pad that is 100% compostable. That means that when I am done with it, I can pretty much throw it into the woods behind my place and it will disintegrate. Pretty cool, huh? The mop "solution" is actually a cleanser made from almond oil that smells amazing. You simply squirt it onto the floor and then mop it up. Presto! Chango! The floor is clean and shiny! It's clean enough -- and safe enough -- that little Sawyer could eat off of it when he comes to visit (don't worry, kiki. I won't do any experiments!). I'm pretty happy with the $24.99 that I spent on it.

Well, here goes another try at being studious. Wish me luck.

I'll need it.

1 comment:

Kia or Tilly (depending on where we met) said...

how exactly does one who lives alone accidentally ingest household chemicals? I mean, unless Bailey is a genius disgiused as a neurotic Weimy, I'm thinking you're gonna know if you poison your own cereal.

:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...