We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

13 February 2011

Girls love make-up

Jenn over at First Comes Love recently posted about the mysterious and intriguing contents of her makeup bag and encouraged others to do the same. I figured that I've been feeling under the weather, and a mini-photo project would be good to keep my mind off of feeling ill. A "photo" project about one of my favorite girly things: makeup! How could I say no?!


I don't actually have a makeup bag. Part of the reason I don't have a bag is that I have too much to fit into a bag!! I use a couple of Rubbermaid-style drawer systems to organize all my stuff.



I pretty much ADORE eyeshadow. I think it is because my eyes are just boring brown, and I like to add color to them to make them more interesting. I have two full drawers of eye shadows in every color and texture that you can imagine. I've got neutrals, brights, pastels, creams, powders, liquids ... you name it, I've got it.


My favorite variety of eyeshadow is the HIP (High Intensity Pigment) line from Loreal. They come in mattes and metallics, and they are little duos. A little of these goes a long way, but they do work to create a dramatic affect. I don't wear them every day because they can be pretty intense, but I do love putting them on. 


For a girl who only really wears lipgloss, I've got a lot of lipstick. The Boy loves it when I wear lipstick, but I find lipstick too high maintenance. There's the constant touching up and reapplying and worrying about if it is smeared or messed up. Lip gloss is so much easier to handle.


Despite my love for eyeshadow, I actually never use eye liner. I have quite a few different colors, but I never use them. Maybe because I don't really know how. But that's a secret, so don't tell anyone.


I mainly use three different blushers, depending on what time of day it is and where I'm going. I use the Neutragena pretty much every day, and the two Revlons (not at the same time!) at night if I'm going out. It's a much more sultry and intense which isn't really an appropriate look for teaching 6th graders.


I'm also a fan of mascara, but I can't seem to find a brand/style/color that I love and want to stick with. I've tried waterproof, non-waterproof, black, brown, clear, plumping, extending .... and, while I wear it every day, I'm definitely not brand or style loyal at this point. Which, given that I've been wearing mascara for more than half of my life, is kinda weird. 

My all-time favorite beauty aid/tool would be my brushes. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE makeup brushes. I'm currently using an all natural bamboo set that I really like. The effect and sensation of using makeup brushes compared to the brushes that come with makeup is completely different. I have makeup brushes for blush, finishing powder, foundation, concealer, mascara, and about five different brushes for eye makeup (which makes sense given that I love eye makeup more than anything!) I strongly recommend using real, professional style brushes with your makeup. 

(The cutest thing in the world is that Quinn --daughter of Quinn's Momma, obviously! -- has started showing an interest in makeup. She's 2 1/2. I gave her some of my old brushes, and she LOVES them. It is sooooo cute to watch her "apply" her makeup. Too cute!)

2 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

WOW! That's a lot of makeup.
I had a dream last night that my sister was selling makeup and I ordered some from her and when it came it was a huge satchel of foundations, eye shadows, lipsticks. etc.. It was expensive too!! I was glad I woke up to my one tube of foundation and my array of lipsticks!!
Then I come across your blog !!

Unknown said...

Yeah, my collection should probably embarrass me. But it doesn't! Thankfully I don't wear it all at once. In fact, some of it I never wear. But I do tend to collect it.

On a funny side note, the day after I posted this, I bought two more eyeshadows. Bad girl!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...