We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

27 February 2011

Lenten Promises 2011

It's almost that time of year again. Lent is only ten short days away which means that Easter is just around the corner. I really look forward to Lent each year. I cherish the opportunity to sacrifice and give a bit more while allowing myself more time to think about my relationship with God as well as deepening my faith. The sacrifices I have planned this year will allow me even more time to contemplate and reflect on my faith.


This year my biggest sacrifice will be giving up television. Completely. No reality tv. No news. No nothing. My television will not be a source of empty-brain time. The only exceptions to this rule will be 1.) if I have company or 2.) if I rent a movie to watch. Given that people rarely visit my apartment, the first exception shouldn't come into play. And, since I cancelled my Blockbuster Online subscription, the second exception shouldn't come into play too often either.

One of the wonderful things about Lent is that we are also encourage to give, not just to give up. I sometimes think that the "giving" part can be harder than the "giving up." This year I plan to "give" more time to prayer. Specifically the Rosary. Since I won't be wasting time in front of the mind-suck, I figure that I will have plenty of time to get work done as well as time to pray. I intend to pray the Rosary three times weekly. Minimum. I also plan to read this new book called Rediscovering Catholicism which I hope will also lend me time for reflective contemplation.

Lastly I will be giving up my usual chocolate and ice cream. Granted, I haven't been eating much of that lately with my weight-loss adventure, but it is still something I like to give up during the Lenten season. I'm also going to try very hard this year to not "cheat" on Sundays. Technically we are allowed to break our Lenten promises on feast days (which is every Sunday as well as other days), but I'm going to try not to follow this technicality this year. While I enjoy eating ice cream and chocolate on Sundays, it does always feel like I'm cheating a bit.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...