We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

30 January 2011

Shhhh ... don't tell my orchids it's winter!

I currently have two orchids growing in my office window. One is about two years old and the other was a gift from my beautiful niece Kyra for my birthday last summer. They really flourish in the summer time and in autumn when I put them out on my sun porch. The humidity and filtered sunlight is perfect for them. In winter, when they go dormant, I keep them in my office where they can still get a little bit of filtered sunlight. The problem with the office is that it is pretty chilly in there. It is actually the coldest room in the house, but it's the only room that gets decent sunlight.

Well, about a week ago, both of the orchids started to throw buds. Those buds have increased in number and size, and I should have blooms in about a week. As of today there are about 5-7 buds on each plant. Clearly my orchids are seasonally challenged. Instead of staying dormant in the cold weather, they have decided that January (not to mention of of the coldest Januarys ever in NC) is a great time to bloom. I don't really mind given that they will be beautiful to look at, but I feel a bit sad for them knowing that they are so confused. 



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...