We've moved!

Please keep up to date with all think Yankee and gluten-free over at A Yankee in Rebel Clothes.

22 October 2011

99 versus 1

I've not been very caught up in the Occupy business that is going on around the country right now. Don't get me wrong, though. I thoroughly support the position and the ideals behind the movement, I've just been too busy within my own sphere of influence to really focus on it. It started while I was over in Ireland (which is part of the reason I'm a little out of the loop), and, when I got back, I've just been too swamped in work to get into it. 

Today one of my friends on Google+ posted a little piece about the movement by Lemony Snicket, and, since I love Snicket's writing voice, I decided to check it out. I'm glad I did because it's pretty fantastic. You can check it out here as well.  The piece is entitled "Thirteen Observations made by Lemony Snicket while watching Occupy Wall Street from a Discreet Distance" and it is written in the very same voice he used for his Series of Unfortunate Events. It's pretty spot-on, so I'll only share a few direct quotations. 

#4 - "People who say money doesn’t matter are like people who say cake doesn’t matter—it’s probably because they’ve already had a few slices."

#6 - "Nobody wants to fall into a safety net, because it means the structure in which they’ve been living is in a state of collapse and they have no choice but to tumble downwards. However, it beats the alternative."

#7 - "Someone feeling wronged is like someone feeling thirsty. Don’t tell them they aren’t. Sit with them and have a drink."

#11 - "Historically, a story about people inside impressive buildings ignoring or even taunting people standing outside shouting at them turns out to be a story with an unhappy ending."

#13 - "99 percent is a very large percentage. For instance, easily 99 percent of people want a roof over their heads, food on their tables, and the occasional slice of cake for dessert. Surely an arrangement can be made with that niggling 1 percent who disagree."

Spot-on, no?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...